If you’ve been looking for eco-friendly wedding save-the-dates, this is a helpful guide to help you decide on a brand or company! I’ve been doing a lot of research to find eco-friendly save-the-date options for couples who want to introduce eco-conscious elements into their weddings right from the start.
Eco-friendly save-the-dates can be digital and paperless, or they can be physical snail mail save-the-dates made of recycled paper, plantable paper, animal poo paper (seriously!) or other biodegradable products.
As an eco-conscious consumer, sending eco-friendly save-the-dates and eco-friendly wedding invitations is a small but collectively important way to make a difference.
Many wedding paper companies even go the extra mile by implementing renewable energy in their office buildings and by purchasing carbon credits to offset any non-renewable energy they use. BEFORE buying your save-the-dates, check out these eco-friendly options below and I’m sure you’ll find one that suits your green personality perfectly!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE my post on eco-friendly wedding invitations! 🙂
Pricing: $49+ per package
Greenvelope is a company that sends paperless, electronic save-the-dates that mimic the look of traditional snail mail save-the dates! They even have envelopes and a backside. Their styles include:
This is honestly the most green option you could choose if you really want to be as eco-friendly as possible. No trees are cut down for digital save-the-dates! And there’s no need for using recycled or plantable paper. Your guests simply open their emails!
Greenvelope is proud of its accomplishments:
- 26,000 trees planted by the Greenvelope team
- 990,000 pounds of paper saved by users
- 4,800 businesses that use Greenvelope (they have options that aren’t just weddings!)
Because they’re digital, you also have the option to include as many photos as you want, so you don’t have to agonize over which of your engagement photos to put on your save-the-date!
#2 Night Owl Paper Goods
Pricing: $6.50 each (but the price goes down the more you buy)
NIght Owl Paper Goods save-the-dates are postcard-sized cards made out of eco-friendly, sustainably-harvested wood or FSC-certified, matte-finish cardstock printed to look like real wood. You can order them as postcards or with envelopes.
These save-the-dates are made in the USA and are made by hand, meaning that no two save-the-dates are exactly alike. Slight variations in the wood guarantee that each of your guests is receiving a one-of-a-kind keepsake.
Did I mention that the designs are also really cute? You can add your own photos or just go with some of the adorable animals or beautiful tree designs available.
Pricing: $1.29+ each
I’ve written about Evermine before in a previous post on wedding invitations about how impressed I am with their dedication to following eco-conscious guidelines throughout the process of creating their paper products, and also in the running of their office building!
They’re based in Portland, Oregon and follow these strict guidelines to ensure that their business is as green as possible:
- They’re a member of 1% for the Planet, donating 1% of their total gross income to the Nature Conservancy of Oregon, Western Rivers Conservancy, and other organizations.
- They are committed to an energy-saving plan and take detailed measures!
- Almost all products are made by the team in Portland, Oregon, using USA-made materials. They have a goal of ZERO PLASTIC and are currently 98% plastic-free
- They use renewable energy in their office building
- Their cards are printed on 10% recycled paper and the white card stock is FSE-certified
- Around their office, they use re-usable and/or biodegradable products
- Around their office, they avoid plastic and paper products as much as possible (no paper or plastic cleaning supplies)
- Their building is LEED Certified Silver
#4 Botanical Paperworks
Pricing: $1.95+ each
Botanical Paperworks makes its save-the-dates out of 100% recycled materials infused with a blend of wildflower seeds, which means that they are plantable. That’s right. Your save-the-dates will blossom if planted! Giving your guests something really special to remember this occasion by.
#5 Bella Figura
Pricing: Must request a quote based on your preferences
Bella Figura makes beautiful and unique save-the-dates with an elegant vintage look. They’re a company committed to eco-friendly practices by doing the following:
- They use only vegetable-oil based and low-Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) inks and low-VOC and citrus-based solvents
- They recycle photo chemistry, film, paper offcuts, and photopolymer printing plates
- They recycle and compost their waste
- They donate surplus paper annually to local art teachers
- They’re powered entirely by wind through the purchase of Renewable Energy Credits
Pricing: $4.35 each
Bloomin is a Certified B Corp in Boulder, Colorado. They make their save-the-dates by hand, out of plantable seed paper which grows when you plant it!
Other eco-friendly facts from Bloomin:
- They take un-dyed, 100% post-consumer and post-industrial recycled paper and break it down into paper pulp
- Their paper contains flower, vegetable, herb, grass, tree and many other varieties of seeds
#7 Summer Lane Studio
Pricing: Starting at £1 GBP each
Summer Lane Studio has the most adorable and magical (and of course eco-friendly) save-the-dates. They’re sold as sets with the invitations/envelopes and RSVP cards.
They’re run by a designer and zoologist near Edinburgh, Scotland and follow eco-friendly guidelines including:
- Printing on a choice of eco-friendly 100% recycled textured or FSC white or ivory hammered card
- Supporting World Land Trust’s ‘Plant a Tree’ project in tropical forest in Borneo
- Using compostable plastic & eco packaging whenever possible
- Sending cards ‘naked’ with no outer plastic
- Powering thier studio on 100% renewable electricity
Pricing: $1.19+ each
ForeverFiances is another company that uses seeded paper for its save-the-date cards, making it possible for your guests to plant their save-the-dates and keep a memory of your wedding in their home long after the event is over.
Based in San Diego, California, their eco-friendly practices include:
- Operating under a strict policy of reducing the CO2 emission through green technologies and innovative printing methods
- Pledging 1% of their revenue to several nonprofit organizations supporting environmental causes (such as World Vision and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society)
- Utilizing eco-friendly supplies, such as post-consumer packaging materials
- Supplementing their operations with other renewable energy technologies
#9 Words With Heart
Pricing: $1.13 – $3.60 Australian Dollars each (varies depending on size and style)
Words With Heart is an Australian eco-friendly print and stationery company that funds education projects for women and girls. Every purchase you make goes towards funding the education of women and girls around the world through various NGO partners.
Words With Heart uses 100% recycled paper and sustainable stocks, eco inks and green electricity, recycles their paper offcuts and uses recycled packaging.
#10 The Little Green Studio
Pricing: From £2.50 GBP each
The Little Green Studio offers save-the-dates that are designed and assembled by hand in Cheshire, England using FSC-certified paper.
Their save-the-dates feature classic, elegant designs for brides looking for something beautiful and simple.
#11 Paper Culture
Pricing: $0.77+ each
Paper Culture is a popular company with a free designer assistance feature, because they allow you to design your save-the-date yourself after choosing from one of their templates (one is shown above).
How are they eco-friendly? They plant a tree every time someone makes a purchase and use 100% post-consumer recycled paper and partner with organizations like CarbonFund to offset their carbon footprint
#12 Earthly Affair
Pricing: Varies depending on style
Earthy Affair save-the-dates are printed on 100% post consumer recycled paper and follow some other eco-friendly practices, including:
- Using curbside recyclables and no new trees
- Using paper that is processed chlorine free and made with 100% renewable energy.
- Creating envelopes that are made of 100% post consumer waste
Tips for Checking if a Paper Company is Eco-Friendly
Many companies will claim to be “eco-friendly” without actually taking the steps to reuse, recycle, and use green practices. There are certain ways to check and make sure that the company you’re purchasing from is being as green as possible.
This is true for their paper products, which should be recycled, plantable, or completely digital – And also for their business practices. Do they use renewable energy in their office buildings?
First, look for third-party eco-friendly certifications. Not all companies will have one of these but if they do, that’s a really good sign. Some of the third-party certifications you might look for include:
- Energy Star (for energy efficiency)
- USDA Organic Seal (for organic products)
- Forest Stewardship Council (for products made from trees in responsibly managed forests)
- Green Seal (for general sustainability)
Once you’ve looked for certification, do some independent research through Google and word-of-mouth (including forums). What are other people saying about these products? Do they seem to be as legitimately green, or trying to be green, as they say they are?
Tips for Saving Money on Your Eco-Friendly Save-the-Dates
Once you’ve found a company that you love and you have ensured that they’re using eco-friendly practices, how can you save money on your save-the-dates?
A few quick tips include:
- Buy cards, not magnets – they’re cheaper and more eco-friendly!
- Ask for/order paper that is lighter. The heavier, the more expensive in general
- Square save-the-dates have become more popular but the post office charges more money to send square-shaped save-the-dates. Order the ‘regular’ mail sizes or a ‘semi-square’ but still cheap 3.5″ x 4″ size
- Look for promotions and discounts from the websites listed above. Google the company’s name plus the word “coupon code” and you’ll be surprised the amount of discounts you’ll find. Don’t pay full price if you don’t have to.
- Order a custom same first before spending tons of money. Some companies offer this for free.